Friday, January 20, 2012

ORA-15505: cannot start workload capture because instance 1 encountered errors

I was trying to start a database workload capture so that I can replay it. Here is the sequence.

Directory was created.

SQL> create directory mydir as '/x01/oracle/softwares/datapump';

Capture was started

SQL> begin
  2   dbms_workload_capture.start_capture('Migration Test','MYDIR');
  3  end;
  4  /

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

After some time I decided to finish the capture.


SQL> begin
  2  dbms_workload_capture.finish_capture;
  3  end;
  4  /

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.


Suddenly I thought the workload captured is not just enough for my simulations. So I started capturing again. Destination is the same directory. Here is what I got.

SQL> begin
  2  dbms_workload_capture.start_capture('Migration Test 2','MYDIR');
  3  end;
  4  /
begin
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15505: cannot start workload capture because instance 1 encountered errors
while accessing directory "/x01/oracle/softwares/datapump"
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_WORKLOAD_CAPTURE", line 811
ORA-06512: at line 2

Solution.

It was turned out to be impossible to direct my capture destination to a directory which is not empty. Removing old files in MYDIR solved the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment