Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Installing Oracle VM Server in VMware Workstation

These days I'm particularly interested in Oracle Virtualization, though I do not have enough resources to play with. Today I decided to install Oracle VM Server in VMware workstation which is actually useless for real world scenarios.
I tried to install Oracle VM in VMware as I used to do with any other operating systems, but it didn't work out. But later on I found what was missing.
These are the additional steps.

1. Download Oracle VM Server ISO and extract it.
2. Open out VMware workstation
3. Select VMware Workstation 5 from the drop down menu when a new virtual machine is created and additionally tick on "ESX Server Compatible"
4. Operating system : Linux -> Other Linux 2.6.x kernel64-bit

Rest of the steps are quite the usual.

When booting the new virtual machine, I got the following error

ERR: Not a 64-Bit CPU!erver-ovs (xen-64-3 .1.3 2.6.18-8.1.15.0.16.el5ovs)
This can be resolved by pressing [ENTER] while booting and selecting 32 bit installation from the menu.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sajeeva, this worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips for installing oracle VM server in VM ware. It helped me!

    vm ware workstation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.
    You can also visit here vmware certification ,VMware Training

    ReplyDelete